Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Inspirational Artists

Below are a few artists which are inspiring my current line to mass project involving the creation of a beard prosthetic. These artists have delt with the construction of bodily additions and thus reflect the art assignment I am working on at the moment.

Lucy Mcrae & Bart Hess
The collaboration between Lucy Mcrae and Bart Hess deals with the issues of the human body and the desire to modify and enhance the human figure. The specific piece I am gaining inspiration from is the foam beard pictured to the left. The piece is a commentary on the grotesqueness of human facial hair and its role in covering the human face and figure. My project too deals with the way beards conceal identity and in some ways create a face which is unrecognizable. Mcrae and Hess create a prosthesis which  uses a slimy substance to decorate the figure and subsequently enhance the human body. Why do people strive to constantly re-invent themselves with clothing and hair styles? - I may never know


Erin Dollar
Erin Dollar takes on beards with a more light-hearted approach and in turn creates woven pieces which inspire both laughter and deep contemplation. Dollar's pieces have inspired me in a more practical sense lending visual clues as to what my beard prosthesis may ultimately look like. The piece shown to the left depicts a full, thick, dark beard which conveys ideas of wisdom and age - precisely the look I am going for. My project will hopefully yield a facial addition which evokes images of the untamed and uninhibited whilst also shedding light on the shrewdness and sophistication of the people who chose to adorn themselves with full grown beards. Dollar chooses and unique subject matter to base her work around, I commend the courage and originality she wields. From this I can only ask one question: why can't women wear beards all the time?

Sources:
http://www.imadeyouabeard.com/search/label/beards%20i%20made
http://beautifuldecay.com/2009/04/11/lucy-mcrae-bart-hess/

No comments:

Post a Comment