Monday, April 18, 2011

Wednesday Night Critique

This past Wednesday night our foundations classes met up with upperclassmen to discuss and critique the independent projects we are working on. My group, along with fellow foundations students, gathered with a sophomore named Sarah - a painting and (sculpture) student. We were asked to have prepared two questions for our assigned student, below are my questions and the responses I gleaned.

1.) As a painting student (to Sarah) what general advice do you have on how to make my painting better?

Sarah responded that the panting overall looked very well done and that she particularly liked the style I was painting in and that it looked rather impressionist and abstract, something she really valued. She continued to give me advice on atmospheric perspective suggesting that the further things are away the more blurry and less defined they look. She proposed that for objects in the backgrounds of my paintings I go back in with a dry brush and sort of blur them out a little, thus giving them the illusion of more depth and distance away from the foreground.

2.) Initially I had the word 'sold' in the foreground of my waterfall painting, I took it out because it cluttered up the image, what thoughts do you have on leaving the words out and does the red rectangle communicate well enough the idea that the image in question has been sold?

Unanimously from not only Sarah but the other students in my group I got the response that the red rectangle was more than enough and that it communicated the idea more that sufficiently. They mentioned that since they couldn't see the words in they couldn't say for sure that they though the current version was better but that they believed it was fine as is. They all got the message the painting was trying to communicate: that the waterfall was being sold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment