Friday, April 1, 2011

Wednesday Night: Etsuko Ichikawa



Last Wednesday night our foundations class was graced with the presence of renowned artist Etsuko Ichikawa. Over the course of the evening Etsuko covered two of her most accomplished works: Firebird and Nachi.
            Overall I was very impressed with Ichikawa’s experimental works with glass. I found it highly inspirational the way she twisted the techniques of traditional glass blowing to create unconventional two-dimensional works. In addition to her works with a medium she coined as ‘pyro-graph’ I was also enamored by her use of performance are and dance in relation to her entire piece.
            Along with her technical skills with glass and dance I found admiration in her abilities with concept and idea. Ichikawa connected her heritage and fascination with Japanese culture to her art. Her pieces seemed to emit a serenity and calmness only associated with Japanese life. Ultimately I was very inspired by the whole night and found myself afterwards a mess with new ideas and fresh artistic drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment