Monday, May 2, 2011

Wednesday Night: Sutton-Beres-Culler

Sutton-Beres-Culler, I sculpture trio (minus one) that visited us last wednesday night shared their sculptural works and discussed what it takes to make effective three dimensional objects. Site played a huge role in nearly all of the pieces they presented to us. It seemed as though most of their works were somewhat comical and almost satirical in nature. From the drive through gallery to the park bench and even the asian restaurant inside a gallery, the site they choose and what goes it in usually seems to reflect a place where the decided object would not usually be. Limited not only to comedy, Sutton-beres-Culler also utilized site in a more utilitarian way in means of beautifying the urban landscapes around Seattle. Chalk friendly sidewalks, trolly car man-hole covers and even renovated gas stations, it appeared that the group also cared deeply for the community they create in and what they can do to make it a better, more artistic space to live in. The main thing I think I will take from all of this is that site is much more important than I had once thought it was. It can be used as comic relief, or even a serious means of telling a story about a place or time. I'm not sure how this will exactly tie into my upcoming projects but I believe it has weighed heavily in my brain. I hope to take advantage of its intricacies in my artwork sometime in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment