Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Wax-Wood Sculpture

In the process of making stretch canvas for oil painting I was left with a dozen or so scrap pieces that all form little triangles with odd angles and edges, picking these pieces up and stuffing my backpack with them I figured I would make some amazing sculpture later on. After bringing them home and laying them all out on the floor I came to the startling conclusion that I really hate sculpture. An hour or so passed playing around with these silly pieces of wood wandering back and forth between what I wanted to make with them and how I could actually secure them to each other. Finally I made the decision to bind them together using tape. The final result of this was a boring and flimsy box-thing. The wood boxes sat in my room for a day or so until I had an idea - pour wax over the top of the blocks and see what happens. The result of this revelation yielded a sculptural set of objects that I'm actually happy with and am showing to you right now. Scanned them in, so they look a little funny but none-the-less. Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment